Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Trousseau Dreams!

As soon as I was called to Young Women's, I knew that I had to introduce Trousseau Dreams to our girls. For anyone who had the misfortune of growing up without this experience, I am truly sorry! It was a lot of work and a big undertaking since I basically had to do it all on my own, but I am so glad that I put the effort into it. There were days when I thought that we may have to cancel or postpone, but I think that it turned out great! As promised, here are some pictures of the big night.






This was my first attempt at making a wedding cake or anything close to it. I learned a lot and am pretty happy with how it turned out. It tasted great too, which is a big plus because I ended up bringing a ton of it home. The kids are thrilled because Issac told them that they can eat as much cake as they want! :) Top layer was coconut cake with a key lime filling, second layer was lemon cake with a raspberry filling, and the bottom layer was chocolate cake with a hazelnut filling. I covered the layers with a marshmallow fondant, so the whole thing tasted yummy!




We had tables set with name cards and everything. Besides the cake, we had a chocolate fondue station with strawberries, apples, bananas, marshmallows and pretzel rods.





We asked the mothers and leaders to allow us to display their wedding dresses and pictures. We ended up with 9 different dresses to show that spanned quite a few years and eras. It was really fun for the girls to see how styles have changed. There were some beautiful, modest dresses!






Our colors for the night were purple and white. As I said, the evening was a huge success. Our key note speakers were a newlywed couple that did a fabulous job, and the parents put a lot of thought into the gifts for the girls and really touched all of us. I am so happy that there is such a special activity that we can bring back year after year to help our girls stay focused on their goal of temple marriage. It was an amazing night!
* Special thanks to my amazing husband who helped me not only with the physical time and hours put in helping with the prep work and set up and take down, but all the emotional support and help that he gave to get me through it all. I love you baby! You are still my HERO and my Prince Charming!

7 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow, Paige, what an amazing job! I can't believe you MADE that cake! Those girls are so lucky to have you as their leader. It looked like it was a fantastic evening. You did your mom and aunts proud!

laura kate said...

You may have found a new career, if you want, that wedding cake turned out beautiful! Those activities were really special memories growing up...funny how you don't think of all the hard work that goes into something like that until you are the one behind it. Great Job!

Unknown said...

Okay, girls, I think I'm going to cry. So proud of you Paige and glad to see the great tradition spread even more. Lots of you have taken this to new wards in new states

PJ Evers said...

Ohhh Paige, that whole event was amazingly beautiful!!! I agree with LK - that wedding cake could be a new career for you.
That TD tradition has been extended - Stacey did it in Roseville too. Way to go Laurel for your fabulous idea. You had no idea how impressive and memorable it would be. Pretty cool!
Patti

Stacey said...

Paige, it all looks amazing! Seriously, that cake looks professional...

And your post brought back all sorts of wonderful memories of our YW days with Laurel, Diane and Diane :) We were so blessed to have such amazing leaders, so hopefully we can return the favor by sharing the lessons and experiences we learned with the girls we work with now.

Unknown said...

Paige that is incredible! I second what everyone else said...beautifully done. Between this post and Becky's about PR closing I'm feeling very nostalgic about the old hometown these days.:)
And Laurel, I didn't know that was your idea! It is amazing when you find out the work that went into having the GREAT YW program we had. I took it for granted, but I know now it was the exception rather than the rule.

Tracy said...

That cake looks amazing and sounds delicious! I'm so glad you could introduce such a memorable event to the YW in your ward. It was one of my favorites as a YW too, and when its my turn to serve in YW, I hope I can do as good of job as you did and the wonderful leaders I had did too!