Thursday, September 2, 2010

California Dreamin'


We got to spend almost 2 weeks back at home in good old Lake of the Pines, California. We usually only get to go home for Christmas, so it was such a treat to be able to do all the fun summer things this time with the kids.




If Rhett looks a little puffy eyed, it's because unfortunately on our first night there, he got bit by something in the middle of the night on his upper right eye lid, and it swelled up beautifully. I cringed with every picture we took of him and that it was for Sunday morning! :(



McKenna has turned into such a beautiful little girl now. So much personality.



DIVA!




We were able to go visit a few local museums that were open for everyone to walk through. This one had some fun, old fashioned games on the front lawn for the kids to enjoy. Even my "big kid" got in on the action.




Rhett and his cousin Timmy really got a kick out of the tug of war game.



"Look at how big my muscles are now!"



The boys also got to have a feel for fetching water and hand washing clothes. I hope that it gave them a slight appreciation for the chores that they have to do today. The lady of the house told them that at their age, they would have had to clean out the bed pans! :)







One of all of our favorites was the gold mining. We learned a lot about how it was discovered and the conditions that the miners had to live in.



Each of the kids were able to try their hand at panning, and each walked away with a few gold flakes to call their own.

Seeing as it was a hot summer in California, we spent a lot of time swimming in various friends pools, the river and of course the lake.


This wonderful pool is at the home of some good friends. We were able to relax and cool off for an afternoon with them.



What's a little fun in the sun without some goodies to eat too? Rhett, McKenna, Timmy and friends, Emily and Kyle enjoying some cupcakes.


Damon even got luck and was invited to participate in a Scout Merit Badge Certification for canoeing. Issac went along to help and out they had a great time!


We went on a day hike to some hidden falls and came across this man and his horse which of course was a big hit with all the kids. We hiked to the river front just below the falls and enjoyed a packed lunch while the kids took a dip.




For another outing, we decided to go bowling. We all had a blast, from my dad all the way down to McKenna. It was a pretty high tech bowling alley that could put down and pick up the bumpers when it was one of the little kids turns. Alicia proved to be the big winner, ending the game with a "TURKEY"!



The best of cousins!


Wesley, Rhett and Timmy showing off their out of this world, super human strength!



I love this picture of these three. We have many just like it at various different ages and stages of their lives. I really hope that they will always stay close to each other.




One of the big highlights to the trip, was getting to go up to our friends million dollar home and play in their gorgeous pool. The hot tub, which is in the middle of the kiddie pool, has an infinity edge.




Do they look like California babes or what?


Then the main pool which is connected to the kiddie pool, also has an infinity edge. It was the most amazing view and we all agreed that we would have been plenty happy to stay right where we were.



Just over the edge there, down below, is a lap pool. This is definitely going on my dream list! :)


The pool, as you can see was amazing, but then we got to have a tour of this amazing house! I honestly thought that I was walking through my dreams! I am so happy for the owners though and glad that they have their dream! Thanks to Angelique and family for sharing it with us, if only for a brief moment in time.




We spent just about every night staying up late and playing games, but we only got to go out, just the adults once. It was a fun evening and good to build relationships up.




We started with dinner, then because Alicia wasn't feeling top notch, ended up playing miniature golf, which I think was pretty perfect. The whether was great and we all had a blast.



Brandon and Alicia! Brandon actually plays golf, and took his game seriously!




Then of course Grandma couldn't resist taking some more pictures of sweet little McKenna. She is so photogenic!



Rhett had to get in on the action too!



I just love how close these two are. Rhett is such a good brother and McKenna does her best to take care of her big brother. I love my kids!



We had a wonderful trip and got to visit with so many old friends. It will be really hard when the rest of the family moves out here and we won't be going "home" for visits any longer. I LOVE where I was fortunate enough to grow up and love that my kids have been able to experience and see so much of it. I love spending time with my family though, so I can't wait for them all to move out here! I miss them all so much!


























6 comments:

Amy said...

your family is moving to Utah?!?!?! So cool! But yeah, I hear ya on the "not getting to really go home to visit" sort of a thing. I felt that way when my parents moved to San Diego; luckily I still had enough reason to go back and visit friends. You will too; but I agree, it's far more worth it to have the family close by. I can hardly wait for that to happen to me! Glad you had a good visit!

laura kate said...

What a fun trip! I have been aching to go home for a visit (especially in the summer). We did grow up in a special place.

Cindy said...

Man, I'm so sad I missed you by only a month! Your kids are adorable and it looks like they really enjoyed their trip to good old LOP. It really is a fun place in the summer. I loved seeing the pictures of Alicia and Brandon. She looks SO happy and I am thrilled for her!

PJ Evers said...

The pictures of everyone are WONDERFUL!!! It was so fun to have Rhett in my class so I could get to know him better.
Your CA friends loved having you visit too!
Come back!
Patti

Stacey said...

Awesome pictures! I'm so glad we got to see you, even if it was only for a few minutes!

said...

Wow that is one awesome trip! I agree about that dream pool, WOW! Your family is so beautiful! I miss you guys. We are trying to plan a trip up to UT next spring- where in UT to you live? We would love to come and see you!